Lead Dust and Toy Testing Kit

$69.99
(No reviews yet) Write a Review
SLGi Lead Dust and Toy Home Testing Kit
Bulk Pricing
  • Detects Presence of Lead in Toys, Dust and Other Products
  • Highly Recommended for Households With Children, Pregnant/Nursing Women and Elderly People
  • Results Within 5 Business Days After Sample is Received by the Lab
  • No Additional Lab Fees (EPA Testing Method)
  • Lead Poisoning Causes Nervous System Damage, Stunted Growth, Delayed Development and Can Even Cause Liver and Kidney Failure in Small Children
  • Our Certified Test Kit is Easy and Simple to Use
  • All Tests Are Conducted Using EPA Approved Methods and Meet All EPA Requirements
  • This Kit Comes Complete With Everything Needed to Sample for Lead in Dust or Toys - Simply Ship Your Samples Back to the Lab in the Original Sample Box
  • Learn More About Our Lab Certifications
  • Learn More About Our Accreditations

Lead has been found in children's toys in the recent past and it's a very real danger to children who play with these toys. It's sweet taste encourages children to put it in their mouths, where it is most likely to be ingested. Regardless of whether it is inhaled or swallowed, though, lead is highly poisonous.

Lead poisoning can cause damage to the nervous system, the cardiovascular system, the immune system, as well as cause stunted growth, delayed development and learning disorders; it can also cause liver and kidney failure and ultimately death.

FAQ's:

  • What is lead poisoning?

Lead poisoning occurs when you absorb it in large quantity either by breathing in or swallowing a substance with lead present in it. Food, dust, paint and water are some of the common sources of lead.

As a result of lead poisoning, your brains, nerves and other parts of the body may get damaged.

Acute lead poisoning is rare and occurs when a person takes in a large amount of lead over a short period of time.

Chronic lead poisoning is more common, especially among children and it occurs when small amounts of lead are taken in over a longer period.

The presence of excessive lead in the body causes irreversible problems in growth and development in children, including:

In adults, lead poisoning triggers several serious diseases and disorders. For instance, it can lead to high blood pressure, brain damage, kidney damage and also damage the nervous system.

Lead is present in a small amount in most of our bodies. It is harmful only when it’s present in excessive amounts.

  • How big is the problem of lead poisoning?

According to the Centers for Disease Control, childhood lead poisoning is the number one environmental health risk facing children in industrialized countries today. In the United States, more than three million children age six and younger, that's one out of every six children, already have toxic levels of lead in their bodies.

  • Are less expensive toys more likely than name-brand toys to contain toxic chemicals?

Lead and other chemicals have been found in all types of toys from all types of stores. Even name-brand toys have been found to contain lead and other hazards. Children's metal jewelry tended to have more lead than other children's products. So, here is no cost associated lead exposure from toys.

  • Can I test toys myself?

Lead-testing kits are widely available, but consumers should be aware that they can provide both false positives and false negatives when testing toys and other products. Kits may provide a screening tool, but should not be used as an absolute determination of safety. For more accurate results, laboratory testing with an XRF analyzer is recommended..

  •  How can my child be exposed to lead?

Lead is invisible to the naked eye and has no smell. Children may be exposed to lead from consumer products through normal hand-to mouth activity. As part of normal development, young children often place their toys, fingers, and other objects in their mouth, which puts them in contact with the lead paint or dust.

  • How can children be exposed to Lead?

There are various ways by which young children may get exposed to lead. Lead can easily be found in various common sources which are usually within the reach of children. These potential sources could be anything from lead paints on walls, on furniture & decorative items to lead based crafts etc. Lead in soil & lucrative paints may enter the digestive system of children at playschools. As the lead paints taste sweet, little kiddies are inclined to eat lead paint chips that open up all the possibilities for them to get infected. 

  • How Can I Limit My Child's Exposure to Lead in Toys?

 The Consumer Federation of America www.consumerfederation.org recommends these pointers: 

Keep a lookout for products in your home, which have been recalled. To confirm, visit www.cpsc.gov and check whether the products are subject to recall or not. 

If you find a recalled toy: 

Keep it out of your kids’ reach 

Follow the instructions for the recall instead of instantly disposing the product. 

If the recalled toy includes lead, clean other toys that were near its vicinity and might contain lead dust. 

Young children have the tendency to put small toys in their mouth. Prevent this from happening. 

Keep a close watch for choking hazards, including small magnets. You can use the inside of a toilet paper tube to test toys or parts of toys that can pose a choking hazard. If you find that a toy or a piece of it easily passed through it, keep it away from them.

  •   How is lead poisoning it treated?

The treatment for lead poisoning involves the removal of the source of lead exposure. Also, you need to eat a balanced diet to get adequate nutrition. Iron intake in particular, is helpful in preventing lead absorption. More often than not, this treatment is the only thing required to reduce the levels of lead in the body.

However, when this doesn’t help and the lead level is at its peak, then chelation therapy can be used. It involves intake of specific medicines, which bind to the lead present in the body and eliminates it via the kidneys.

To keep the children safe, the rule of the thumb is to ensure that they are not exposed to lead in the first place. Keeping them away from buildings, toys and certain lead-based paint will prove to be effective in this direction. If the lead has been removed or sealed away or the environment is certified by authorities to be lead-free, then it can be considered safe for children.

  • How are dust samples collected and analyzed?

The simplest method of collecting dust is a surface wipe sample in an area of one square foot is sampled. To assure collection of all dust particles, the area is wiped several times in different directions. After collection, the dust sample is contained and sealed, then sent to a laboratory for assessment. Analysis is usually done by X-Ray Fluorescence (XRF) analyzers.