- Tests for Free and Total Testosterone Hormone Level
- Results Available in Just 5-7 Business Days From Date Specimen is Received
- Includes Saliva and Blood Spot Sample Collection
- Includes a Detailed Report of Hormone Levels to Review with Your Doctor
- No Additional Lab Fees and Pre-Paid Sample Return Shipping is Included (Excludes International Shipping)
- Due to State Law, This Product Cannot Be Shipped to NY State
*In order to receive results, please print your email address clearly in the test requisition form included in the kit.
What is Free Testosterone and Total Testosterone?
As testosterone travels around the body in blood, some of it floats in the blood freely without being attached to anything else. This is 'free' testosterone. On the contrary, some testosterone is attached/bound to a protein called SHBG (sex hormone binding globulin), while other testosterone is attached to a protein called albumin. Therefore, 'total' testosterone refers to the sum of all the testosterone in the blood, no matter what it is bound to. A majority of testosterone is bound to something, while only a few percent of testosterone is free. This test checks for both!
Why test for Testosterone?
Testosterone is a sex hormone that plays a critical role in the health of both men and women. This test builds a complete testosterone profile for patients as it tests testosterone levels in saliva as well as in blood, making it one of the most comprehensive testosterone tests available to consumers.
In men, the Testosterone hormone imbalance test may be ordered if there is:
- Decreased sex drive or erectile dysfunction.
- Lack of beard or body hair.
- Decreased muscle mass.
- Development of breast tissue.
- Testicular tumors.
In women, the testosterone hormone in saliva test may be ordered if there is:
- If a woman has irregular or no menstrual periods.
- Having difficulty getting pregnant.
- Appears to have masculine features (excessive hair, baldness, low voice, etc.)
- Tumors of the ovaries can raise testosterone levels.
This testosterone hormone imbalance saliva testing kit is an efficient way to find out if you're having testosterone imbalance that might be triggering your symptoms. It involves simple collection of specimen and convenient transport of the samples to an accredited laboratory using the included pre-paid label. Your testosterone level result allows your physician to arrive at a significant diagnosis and suggest possible treatment. Similarly, it can help your physician determine if any observed complications are in any way associated with your levels of testosterone. Understanding your testosterone level is one of the key elements to living a healthier and balanced life.
Want to cover all of the main hormones in a single test? - Save big by selecting our comprehensive multi-hormone test. Tests up to 8 hormones at once!